Monday, October 16, 2006

Death and Other Cheery Subjects

Not suprisingly, I've been thinking about death a lot lately. I've been thinking about my dad, myself...and my kids.

I did a scrapbook last year for my dad. One of my favorite photos is when my dad was about 7 months old. Its my dad, his mom, his grandmother, and his great-grandmother all sitting together outside the farmhouse that my great-grandparents owned. My dad is a healthy happy infant. Now, he's dying. His skin is yellow, the cheeks are sunken, and the breathing difficult.

It came to me that someday, my boys are going to be that way too....hopefully. They're going to be old and dying or at the very least sick with the illnesses of old age. These young and energetic boys that I chase around the house at night herding them into bed are going to end up like my dad.

This bothers me tremendously. I'm far less worried about me dying. If I flopped over today the boys would have Brian (DH) and if Bri and I both went they'd go to our very dear friends down in Florida. They'll be OK. But I probably won't be there when they're my dad's age. I won't be able to help them the way I am helping my dad.

My older son asked Brian the other day, "Who will take care of me when I'm old and sick like Papa (that's their name for my dad)?" Good question.

Debby

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Evolved Homeschooling
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Get Your Free Web Ring
by Bravenet.com