Sunday, December 31, 2006

And I'm ....

Spent!

Any Austin Power fans out there?

Thank goodness December is almost over is all I have to say. Hanukkah, Christmas, my birthday, gifts to buy and events to attend...I'm done.

It was really nice looking back. My dad bought the uniqe gift of a travel bar. For those 35 and under, it is a oversized briefcase that carries bottles of alcohol and mixing appratus. Along with fondue pots, the were terribly chic when I was a child. So far I've learned to make Southern Comfort Manhattans and Sex on the Beach drinks.

School wise there were some interesting developments. We discovered the Disney Bill Nye DVD series of videos at the library. Also my dad bought him the Snap Circuits Extreme which has also been a big hit.

We've also been spending time up at the Museum of Science and Industry in the city quite a bit. In helping Ben learn, I've discovered that rather than try "age appropriate materials" I've been using stuff allegedly beyond his grade leve (which is second grade) The Nye videos are supposed to be for 4th graders and up but Ben gets them. Also at the museum, reading the advanced signs and display information has really moved his reading forward.

There is a strong school of thought in education theory that if something is beyond the student, the student shouldn't attempt it because it could be discouraging. I get it. When Ben was in a more traditional education atmosphere, he was discouraged when asked to do something beyond his skills. But in a situation where he now feels totally safe? He's eager to reach and struggle. Is it because he knows there won't be someone there to make fun of him? He knows that he has a partner in this journey? I don't know.

Debby

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Evolved Homeschooling
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Get Your Free Web Ring
by Bravenet.com