Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Which Candidate Scares YOU the Most?

Now that we’re 80% of the way through the holiday season, it’s getting easier to breathe. It’s been strange since it was my first birthday without my dad..and even stranger that it was over 70 degrees on my birthday.

On my birthday I went to see a movie, Charlie Wilson’s War starring Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. Aaron Sorkin (he of West Wing fame) wrote the script. And it was so good….very honest look at how the US viewed the Afghan conflict with the Soviets and how our support of the Afghan rebels has impacted the War on Terror today. It was interesting to me to see how career diplomats and CIA officers had a different view of the possible implications of supporting the rebels..and well-meaning individuals upset that apple cart. Left unspoken, however, was the damage caused by the end of the Soviet Union. Perhaps another day?

To round out my left-wing Christmas holiday season, I’ve been reading American Fascists by Chris Hedges. Have you heard of dominionists? Did you know Huckabee is one? As a secular American it *horrifies* me that the Republican front-runner got into politics because there wasn’t enough Jebus in the political arena

“I didn’t get into politics because I thought government had a better answer. I got into politics because I knew government didn’t have the real answers, that the real answers lie in accepting Jesus Christ into our lives.”(source)

I’d call him a “soft dominionist” and many of the people that I’ve met like that aren’t mean (they don’t hate people different than themselves) but tend to be *very* ignorant of other worldviews. Yeah…I want a person like that as my president…NOT.

Other than that….we enjoy the warm weather here. Homeschooling is going great. We’re settling into our community ...things are going great.

Comments:
Hi, Debby, I linked from your comment on my blog. Do I have it right that you moved from the Chicago area (where I'm from) to somewhere warm in the winter?

I think that Huckabee probably scares me the most on the Republican side, because he seems so sure he is right. And he has made some rather catty implications about Romney's religion. I think the apology was insincere--he asked his 'question' to get it "out there." He is smart enough to be be aware that once it's out there, there's no real taking it back.

I feel the same way about Hilary Clinton, with her implication that Obama sold drugs. She phrased it as a "we don't know" but what she does know is that getting it out there is more important than how she reacts--"oops!"--later.

This is why I dislike how we do politics so much, sometimes.

Anyway, I do want to see Charlie Wilson's War one of these days.
 
yep, we moved from Chicago to Florida earlier this year (2007).

Many years ago, DH and I almost ended up in New Mexico as Sandia..the national labs there were recruiting him. He decided to go into private industry instead.

We seem to have a lot in common; homescholing, Jewish, engineer husbands... :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Evolved Homeschooling
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Get Your Free Web Ring
by Bravenet.com