Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Post Florida Primary Thoughts....

Dear Simon,

In response to your email expressing your bewilderment at the pointlessness of the recent Florida primary, I thought I'd compose a more public answer to your question.

Florida delegates are not going to be seated by the decree of the Democratic National Committee. Against the wishes of the Democratic Party leadership, the duly-elected Florida legislature moved up the date of the Florida primary so as to actually have a voice in the choosing of a candidate.

Why would the DNC get their liberal knickers in a twist about this? The most reasonable answer is that having over half of the states vote between January and February would make campaigning very intense for the candidates. Of course, candidates start YEARS before Iowa and New Hampshire so let's all admit that reason was bull.

I think the real reason is that it makes it harder for Iowa and New Hampshire to crown the party nominees. If there are a whole host of primaries around the corner, those two small states become even less important then they already are. And...then LOTS of money is going to get spent in the primary race leaving less for the general election in November.

So, I cast my non-vote for Obama, revelling in the pointlessness of it. Most importantly I got a nifty sticker that said, "I voted" and it got me a free soda at the sub place :)

I wanted the DNC to know what my wishes are even if they don't act on them.

Now Billary are trying to get the delegates for Michigan and Florida reinstated. And I think that is a totally dishonorable crap position for them to take (Let's be honest, she's the one running on paper only) Billary was the only candidate on the ballot in Michigan because the other candidates respected the DNC position...and in Florida they didn't campaign...would Hillary have won if there had been campaigning? She certainly wouldn't have had the lead she ended up with if there had been active campaigning.

It makes me think less of the Clintons. I don't want my Commander in Chief to have "By Any Means Necessary" as a personal motto.

Comments:
I was wondering when Billary was/were (?) going to try to get reinstated. I have been expecting it every since Michigan, actually.

I honestly think that the DNC is wrong, wrong, wrong to have refused to seat these delegates. It tells party members that they don't matter and that their voices will not be heard.

However, now it would be quite obvious why they are being reinstated.

Do we really want this hermaphrodite in the white house?
 
You mean the two headed hermaphrodite that is Billary?

I totally agree the DNC should not be in the business of telling people when their primaries should be. And, if the DNC really wants that job, they should be telling Iowa and New Hampshire to put their primaries back and let larger and demographically diverse states decide the nominee.

But no one listens to me :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Evolved Homeschooling
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Get Your Free Web Ring
by Bravenet.com