Saturday, January 05, 2008

Will white people vote for a black guy?

Post-Iowa, I think the answer has to be YES!

I’m not sure that nonAmericans get how big Iowa was.

I’ve been reading online newspapers since I helped one get off the ground 12 years ago.

One of my faves is the Daily Telegraph. I especially love the obituaries! Anyway, its always interesting to me to see what they report on. International coverage is different (obviously!) and how they report on the U.S. is interesting to me too. Sometimes the Telegraph has news about the US that I didn’t read in any U.S. paper even!

The Daily Telegraph has an article titled, “Is America Ready for a Black President?” asking the same questions that the U.S. papers covered a while ago. The whole black thing seems to be largely a non-American interest. The Telegraph also has an article comparing Obama’s success to Jesse Jackson’s lack of it 20 + years ago.

Many of the British people responding keep saying things like:

People will vote differently than they Poll
The Iowa caucus wasn’t a poll, it was a very public vote.

White people won’t vote for Obama
Iowa is something like 98% white. It doesn’t get more white than that. A bunch of WHITE democrats voted for him.

Clinton is still leading 20% nationally
1) When was that poll taken? I bet there’d be a post-Iowa bump for Obama
2) Overall numbers matter less than what states Obama can take (vs. Clinton). Obama has great crossover support from moderates, including moderate republicans who would rather bite off their arms than vote for Clinton. Swing states like Ohio (which has a significant African American population) and Florida (same thing again) would benefit from having moderate republicans voting.



Hillary Clinton is unelectable. I don’t care if she has more experience (and that’s debatable) I don’t care if she has more support from the DNC…She doesn’t have enough cross support to be elected.

Now the important question:

Will the Republicans choose someone who thinks gay marriage is a bigger threat to our society than rampant global warming?

Comments:
I agree with you that Hillary is unelectable. And for the reasons you state. I also think that on the Republican side, Huckabee is ultimately unlectable. And for the same reason--he cannot get enough cross-over and independent support. I am just hoping that we'll have a real race this time. One in which we do not have to hold our noses and vote for the least bad of two really bad candidates. And maybe we can even have an exciting election--you know, one in which we'll actually have to consider the stands of each candidate rather than go in with our minds made up.

Sigh. Well, at least we can hope!
 
An election where I wouldn't have to hold my nose and vote...that would be exciting!

It seems that Hillary went into this thinking she was somehow *entitled* to the nomination and I'm not really sure where she got that idea from. And now she (and her team) seem mad at Iowa...at least according to the news stories I've been reading online.

I *hope* Huckabee is unelectable for the same reason. Just as Hillary would get RWFNJs motivated, I fear a Huckabee nomination would as well. But he is SUCH a off the wall person (his tax plan is almost as crazy as his Jeebus talk) I would hope the moderate republicans would stay away.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Evolved Homeschooling
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Get Your Free Web Ring
by Bravenet.com