Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fay, Fay Go Away

Jacksonville is getting ready for Fay to return to land Thursday AM as a Cat 1 hurricane. It's projected landfall is about 35 miles south of us, just north of St. Augustine.

We're ready! DH has water put aside, I have a pile of cash, cars are filled with gas and we have extra propane and canned goods. What I'm not ready for is the loss of power. In 2004 some of my friends lost power for 5 days. After 20 hours without power in the blistering summer heat I'm out of here.

So, one local store has put up hurricane barriers over its windows.




The God People are ready. The rest of the heathen stores (pet store, office supply store) are trusting in their insurance gods I guess.

:)

Comments:
Wow. I just found your blog by reading doc's comments. Hope you all are well and not flooded out completely by Fay.

I'm an old St. Augie girl and I miss Fl terribly. I may jump over from time to time to live North Floriday life vicariously through you.
 
Downtown St. Augustine is getting hit pretty badly since Fay stalled out over them. They can't handle regular rain let alone what we're getting now.

There's a kids book about St. Augustine by a local writer called Voices in St. Augustine. It was a great way to learn local history and then go walk around there and see the places. Made my older son think of the fort as more than a cool place to go see cannons :)
 
Ooh. My 8yo is a HUGE St. Augie fan. I will definitely try to find that book. The illustrations will probably just make me cry.

And (yes, this is me yammering.) the cannon thing has been a big thing for my daughter. Not very girlie, but now loves checking the country of origin on every cannon she sees. Strange, but cool.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Evolved Homeschooling
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Get Your Free Web Ring
by Bravenet.com